javascript:void(0)

Friday, June 1, 2012

Prima - "Simple to Stupendous" Feature

Prima started a great new monthly feature called "Simple to Stupendous" where one of the DT members shows a dual approach to creating a layout: one version that's somewhat simple and the other with more product and techniques.  I had the honor of the doing the DT feature this month.  You can see the post here on the Prima blog.  Here are the Cliff Notes . . .

Personally, I don’t have a single set-in-stone scrapbooking style. To keep things interesting for myself, I like to play around with different styles. Some of my pages are very simple with minimal embellishments, and others are filled with techniques and lots of products.  For my post on the Prima blog, I created one-page variations of the two-page layout I did for my class a couple months ago. 
 
Here is the first version.


Pretty simple, huh? I created a quick and easy base for the photo by punching squares from the Songbird Collection papers.  I kept the rest of the page pretty simple by using a minimal amount of flowers (just enough to “pretty up” the page a bit).  Then I added my title and handwrote my journaling on a doily. This is a page that could easily be completed in half an hour and with minimal supplies.

Here is the second version.


As you can see, I added more embellishments and details. For example, I beefed up my cluster of flowers and embellishments. I added some details, like machine stitching around the page and I added tiny drops of Liquid Pearls around the center section.

Instead of a simple punched square design, I added a more eye-catching patchwork design adorned with pearls.
I first learned how to do this cool paper quilting technique here: Davinie’s quilting tutorial

To add a bit of sparkle and pizzazz to my embellishment clusters, I coated some of the flowers and the butterfly with translucent white glitter.


In case you missed it, here's my 2-page version.



Oh, before I forget, the winners of Maggie's Photography Workshops are posted on her blog here!

Have a fabulous weekend!


10 comments:

Unknown said...

i looked at the first one and liked it. than I looked at the second one and loved it! i enjoyed the way you showed us both and explained how you did it. thanx!

Michelle said...

I second what Faygie said. I too liked the first one, and was wow'd by the second one. Thank you for the explanation. :)

Romy said...

Oh wow, both layouts are gorgeous! That is such an awesome technique. I might have to try it too. Thank you for the inspiration!

cvanholstein said...

Been thinking about trying this technique and now I am sure!
Love both layouts, fun to see the difference!
xxx, C

Nay and Gilly said...

Hi Stacy, always love having a look at your blog and your beautiful work! Gill :-)))

Cris Juliani said...

Hi Stacy....
Wonderful LO...... I'm in love Brasil...
I can't wait.....
thankyou!
Cristiane

Cris Juliani said...

Hi Stacy....
Wonderful LO...... I'm in love Brasil...
I can't wait.....
thankyou!
Cristiane

Patricia said...

this work is fabulous.. I love the 3 versions of this squares...

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Stunning design!!!

Fabi Ormerod said...

wow...loved these pages dear!!! I gotta learn this quilting technique - off to check it now ;)